Refund the tax paid by a non-resident alien

USA Discussion in 'Individuals' started by Dina, Mar 19, 2017.

  1. Dina


    Mar 19, 2017
    Likes Received:
    Hello everybody,

    I am a Ukrainian citizen residing in the UK. In 2016 I won a piano competition prize of $15.000 in the US, and was given a check for $10.500, as had 30% of tax withheld. The competition office informed the winners that it is possible to request a refund by filling the 1040-NR form, however, no further instructions were given. Recently I have got copies B-D of 1042-S form.
    Would anybody be so kind to explain me the process of getting the withheld tax back. I only came to the US for a competition, but am a UK tax resident.
    Thank you very much.
    Dina, Mar 19, 2017
    1. Advertisements

  2. Dina


    Mar 31, 2017
    Likes Received:
    I assume you don't have a US tax identification number. First, go to the nearest US Embassy and schedule a day and time to have your passport notarized. Fill in the 1040NR along with a W7 application. Get someone specializing in W7 applications to review your application for accuracy. They will also help attach all the forms and the notarized passport to increase the likelihood that it gets accepted the first time. Or pay them to do the return and review if you found doing the forms daunting. The reviewer will arrange the posting for you to the right division of the IRS.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    Lizzit, Mar 31, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.