USA Refund the tax paid by a non-resident alien

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everybody,

I am a Ukrainian citizen residing in the UK. In 2016 I won a piano competition prize of $15.000 in the US, and was given a check for $10.500, as had 30% of tax withheld. The competition office informed the winners that it is possible to request a refund by filling the 1040-NR form, however, no further instructions were given. Recently I have got copies B-D of 1042-S form.
Would anybody be so kind to explain me the process of getting the withheld tax back. I only came to the US for a competition, but am a UK tax resident.
Thank you very much.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I assume you don't have a US tax identification number. First, go to the nearest US Embassy and schedule a day and time to have your passport notarized. Fill in the 1040NR along with a W7 application. Get someone specializing in W7 applications to review your application for accuracy. They will also help attach all the forms and the notarized passport to increase the likelihood that it gets accepted the first time. Or pay them to do the return and review if you found doing the forms daunting. The reviewer will arrange the posting for you to the right division of the IRS.

Last edited:

Ask a Question