Refurbishing Quickbooks companies

Reaction score
Greetings to all. I am using QB Enterprise 11. I have two different restaurants in the same building, each in a seperate QB company, and yet another QB company set up for the property management of the building that houses the restaurants and other retail businesses that we rent to. Using the feature of consolidating reports does not work becuase the accounts are not the same. It would be quite a daunting task to syc up the accounts at this point. One company file has been accumulating transaction history since we opened in 1990, and has a chart of accounts that's nine screens long.

I am looking to simply the chart of accounts, items list, employees, etc., without loosing history. The system for at least the oldest restaurant is now too complex for our own good. I want to start fresh, since if we were to open these businesses now, they would be set up completely differently.

My thougth was to create three new companies. In these new companies, I would want to bring over just the time consuming things to reenter. My question is can I bring these over (import/export) in the manner I'd like to:

Current employees. That's 40 out of about 900 inactive ones. It would be nice not to have to re-enter pay rate information and tons of comments in the note sections.

Vendor list: Preferably in a manner that I can see them and quickly delete (in say, Excel) those that are not current. That's keeping about 100 out of 1,000, with remit addresses and all the time consuming details to re-enter.

Payroll item list: This I am not sure about, since if we trash the COA, we will probably use different accounts now, and these payroll items are coded to accounts. But it would be nice to know it can be pulled over, even if we change the accounts later.

Ulimately, we would create our new COA fresh with none coming over from the old company so we stay lean in that regard. Then we would put beginning balances on these new accounts, which may be a consolidation of multiple accounts from the old file. And, of course, if we need detail on prior years, we can open the retired company files.

Thank you so much for any insights you can share as to the pitfalls of what I am attempting, and the method to accomplish these partial imports.

Kind regards,
Alex

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Alex, yes you can import your lists and data into a new file. Within QuickBooks under File > Utilities is an option to export and import your lists as an iif file. However, your better option would be to use a third party program which will give you more flexibility in how you want to set things up. Here are links to two different programs.
Hope this helps.
http://http://www.baystateconsulting.com/products/01TxnWizard.htm?gclid=CMa28aHWv68CFYRM4Aodgwz7yw

Tools to import and export QuickBooks data

Jo Ellen Peters

Ask a Question