Reimbursement for Pain and Suffering

Reaction score
My situation is a little different, and I just wanted to double check here.

This past year I was a gestational surrogate through an agency, and I signed a contract through them along with the intended parents. The paragraph in the contract related to my reimbursement states this:

Surrogate shall be reimbursed for her discomfort, pain, suffering, and inconveniences, for pre-pregnancy and pre-birth child support expenses and post-birth expenses including reasonable and necessary living expenses incurred during the term of this Agreement the total sum of $22,000.00 after confirmation of pregnancy by ultrasound during which a fetal heartbeat is detected in accordance with the following schedule and subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement. As long as surrogate is pregnant, she will be entitled to receive $1,600.00 every four (4) weeks starting on the first day of the seventh week after the embryo transfer. Surrogate will be entitled to receive the remaining balance of the $22,000.00 within fourteen (14) days after the delivery of a Child pursuant to this agreement.

I was wondering if any of this is taxable? I know quite a few other surrogates who have said that it is not, and that we cannot even get a 1099 form for any of this; but I wanted to double-check. The contract states that I was not an employee of the agency.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks!

Ask a Question