USA Reporting ESPP Stock Sales after leaving Company

Reaction score
Country
United States
Through 2002 I participated in an ESPP at a company where I purchased company stock at a 15% discount once a month until Jan 2014 at which time I stopped. Then in 2016 I left for a new company that was spun off by my previous company. I was informed by my previous company that I was terminated in their ESPP by the plan rules since I no longer worked for them. I was told I would have to transfer my shares in the old company to another broker or sell then. I opened an account at Vanguard and had them transferred in Sept 2016. I also received a spreadsheet on the purchase information include # of shares, purchase price, FMV purchase price, etc. basically all the cost basis information. In November 2016, I sold multiple shares from purchases made between 2002 and 2007 based on a FIFO method. I was able to identify the cost for each shares sold. I noticed some purchases were at the discount while others where at FMV. I received a 1099-B for the sales from Vanguard where the cost basis was missing(wasn't mandatory until 2001). I am using TurboTax to file my taxes and had these questions:
1. Do I have to report this sales as a sale from an ESPP where I need to enter an individual line item for each month I purchased the stock that I sold (i.e. bought 10 shares in Jan 2002, 10 shares in Feb 2002, then March, April, etc. then sold those shares in one transaction in Nov 2016)
or
2. Do I need to report the sale as an ESPP sale since I no longer was in the ESPP anymore? Can I enter one line for the sale showing the total cost at FMV for all shares sold using a date purchased of "various" along with the sale amount for all shares sold. Mark the sale as long term on the form since last sale date was 2007.
3. Are there any other options I have here in reporting the sale? I do not have the W2s going back to 2002 and probably cannot get them. I know I owe taxes on the gain, I just want to report in correctly on the forms.

Ask a Question