Restoring Version 11.0 (2002) backup on XP.

Reaction score
Having had both my desktop HDD and laptop collapse at about the same time (sad, but true!) I thought my Money structure was safe as I had an old backup on a flash drive, albeit 18 months old!

However, when I try to restore it, I get the dreaded "...can't locate...or can't open it..." error message which seems to be the topic of endless Money forums over the whole 'net.

It is definitely not read only, my XP user account is an Administrator account, and the file now resides on my new HDD which is definitely not write protected! Oh, and it's not being used by another application.

As it's a backup file, the Money Repair utility is useless.

And it was definitely created by my installed version 11.0.

Other files on the flash drive work fine, and Money will create and restore backups of the sample file.

So, am I dead in the water, or is there a chance some freeware somewhere will enable it to load?

Reaction score
Hmmmmmmm....

The actual error message starts off:

Money cannot locate 'C;\Program Files\Microsoft Money\Msmoney2' or cannot open it....etc.

But, that is the nominated name for the recovered file, NOT the backup file. The backup file is Msmoney Backup.mbf'.

Anyone any ideas what's going on?

Ask a Question