USA Resume question?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys. I guess this post counts as my introduction and a question haha. I'm new to the forum! Thanks for having me! Well, I'm a senior at my university and have a year left to graduate with my bachelor's degree in accounting. I was thinking of getting a professional resume + cover letter + linkedin maker over done for myself but I don't know if I should do it now, or after I graduate next year. I was thinking now for internships since I haven't got one, but then again, I don't know. I'm actually getting some tax experience but it's seasonal and not considered an internship. It's literally the only accounting experience I have outside of school. Anyway, my resume is random and all over the place, with tons of random jobs and a change of majors. So I'm definitely going to need the service, I just don't know if it's better to get it done now or after I graduate next year. What do you think?

Drmdcpa

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think you should not do a chronological resume, rather do a skills resume. The sooner the better. A bachelors in accounting is somewhat useless today.

It might get you in the door, but academia does not prepare you for the real world. Your seasonal tax work is probably just as good.

A CPA requires five years of college with specific coursework.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think you should not do a chronological resume, rather do a skills resume. The sooner the better. A bachelors in accounting is somewhat useless today.

It might get you in the door, but academia does not prepare you for the real world. Your seasonal tax work is probably just as good.

A CPA requires five years of college with specific coursework.
Thank you for your reply! I have never heard of a skills resume before but I will bring it up to their attention. And I agree, I am going to continue to do this seasonal tax work annually unless I'm able to get a different internship before next year's program starts again and also I will be applying for the master's degree program as soon as I am eligible. I hope I am on the right track.

Drmdcpa

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Most people think of resumes as a chronological listing of work experience and academic achievements. But there are other designs like the aforementioned skills resume. It will not show scattered unrelated work experience. It will detail skills, knowledge and achievements steering clear of showing a scattered history.

Ask a Question