Returning a signing bonus

Discussion in 'Tax' started by markdiver, Mar 12, 2005.

  1. markdiver

    markdiver Guest

    I recently started a new job in which they were nice enough to give me
    a signing bonus. Unfortunately I dont like the job very much and think
    I may leave soon.

    When I got the bonus I was told that if I voluntarily leave
    within 12 months I have to pay it back, which sounds fair,
    but the problem is that I got the bonus the first week that
    I started, before I filled out a W2 and got hit hard on

    My question is, if I leave this job and they ask for the
    full amount back, do I have any recourse on my taxes ? Can I
    deduct the full pretax amount from my income taxes next
    year, or do I just lose out on the difference between what
    they gave me and what I really received after tax?


    markdiver, Mar 12, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. markdiver

    A.G. Kalman Guest

    If you make a repayment in 2005 for income you were taxed on
    in 2004, you do have recourse assuming that you have a tax
    liability in 2005. The answer is on pages 31 to 32 under
    "Repayments" in IRS Pub 525.
    A.G. Kalman, Mar 14, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. markdiver

    D. Stussy Guest

    See the tax topic "Claim of Right." That's what you have.

    Note that if under $3k, you must take the Schedule A
    deduction. If over $3k, you have the choice of the
    deduction or the tax credit version - and usually, people go
    with the version that produces the larger tax benefit.
    D. Stussy, Mar 17, 2005
  4. markdiver

    markdiver Guest

    Thanks !
    markdiver, Mar 17, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.