UK Routes to chartered status with past work experience

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all! My names robyn, pleased to meet you!

I'm trying desperately to find out how to become a chartered accountant but my circumstances are a bit bizzare and my poor head just can't figure it out.

The main problem I'm having is that most of the routes seem to require you to be in a work placement while you study / take exams. I also really, really dont want to have to work for or under someone else and most routes seem to require you be in a current placement.

The reasoning for all this madness is as follows...
In 2015 I completed a 4 year Business Management apprenticeship. Now the company I was with (a worldwide construction company) really failed to structure my apprenticeship. This meant I was basically adopted by the accounts team because they needed the extra hands. I helped with everything from invoices and journals to vat and the financial statements. I was also responsible for maintaining a financial risk register for the UK arm of the business which meant I also got involved in auditing.

This was over a period of four years so the experience I have isn't none existent. I also completed the open universities B190 introduction to bookkeeping and a HND in Business . I also had a look at the specs for AAT courses and am confident I could pass level 3 or 4.

I was really hoping to start my own accounting business working with local small businesses as I would be able to offer other services such as marketing, hr and sqe.

Its also worth mentioning I was in a horrific car accident after the apprenticeship that has left me with several disabilities which is the main reason I don't want to be working for someone else. its hard enough planning a workload for myself!!!

So, in a nutshell is there anyway to get chartered status without me having to go through everything I have already done all over again.

Thank you ever so much!

Ask a Question