Rules for Invoice numbering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am completely new to this website so hope that I am in the correct section ! I have tried a search on the above topic but came up with nothing !

Can anyone refer me to a simple paper , report , document etc., that would include a series of requirements (rules ) and their reasons for an acceptable Invoice Numbering system ?

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure if there is one. Generally though, invoice numbering should be incremental ie INV0001, INV0002 and so on. That way it's easier to keep track of them for both internal controls and audit purposes.

Outside of that, it's entirely up to whoever is issuing invoices what format they choose to use. The one I've just mentioned is nice and straightforward, but I see some horrific invoice numbers along the lines of this: D06/TST-PD9/000924XTZ, which I'm sure all means something to the issuer, but is just an eyesore to the recipient.

Ask a Question