Same fund share swap - how to do in Qkn?

Discussion in 'Quicken' started by Al, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Al

Al Guest

[Quicken Deluxe 2015 R3, on Vista Ultimate 32-bit w/SPII]

Our FI has swapped - in a Roth IRA account - a number of fund shares (1:1) from whatever they were to - if I remember correctly - their institutional class versions. The symbols change.

RC has always said look at events in real life, and THEN emulate in Quicken. However, I cannot find a Qkn Action that reflects what happened, so Share Reconcile window shows holdings that do not match between Qkn and FI.

I don't want placeholders as generated by Adjust Share Balance action, so...

1) Is the correct answer in Qkn to do a series of "Remove - Shares Removed" and "Add - Shares Added"?

2) If so, what happens to price history?

3) Regardless of answer to (2) above, does it matter, in that all this is happening inside a Roth IRA, where earnings distributions are qualified because IRA established more than 5 years ago by me, who passed the 59.5 year age eons ago?

Thanks for your guidance.

Al, Oct 26, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Al

danbrown Guest

If I recall correctly, there's no "Corporate Acquisition" action in Deluxe.I think that you need Premier, or higher, for that action to be included.

SO, Shares Removed/Added is probably your only choice. re: price history, just make sure that the "costs" that you're removing are reflected in the "costs" that you're adding ... so that the Investment results over time (when including both securities) will still be accurate.

danbrown, Oct 26, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Al

Al Guest

Thank you. I have just concluded the Remove/Add exercise.

Actually, the swap was not REALLY 1:1. Rather, they swapped in the new class shares in share numbers corresponding to the Remove value and new class NAV. It was aaaalmost 1:1, but not quite.

There is a Corporate Acquisition action in Qkn Deluxe, but these were funds.. (?)

In any case, it would have saved me a lot of work if they had just Sold old-class and Bought new-class! That's the net effect of the Remove/Add hullabaloo....

Again, many thanks for your reply and advice.

Al, Oct 26, 2014
  4. Al

Tod Guest

Use of the Mutual Fund Conversion transaction generates the necessary Remove Shares and Add Shares transactions. That would be a common recommendation.

Tod, Oct 26, 2014
  5. Al

danbrown Guest

A Mutual Fund is, legally, a corporation. That's why what you own are called "shares" of the fund. So Corp Acq would have still been appropriate.

And I had forgotten about the "Mutual Fund Conversion" action ... if that exists in Deluxe.

danbrown, Oct 26, 2014
  6. Al

R. C. White Guest

Hi, Dan.
    I've never had occasion to use it (that I recall), but, YES, it is available
    in Quicken 2014 Deluxe. It's way down in the Enter Transaction listing,
    right after "Corporate Acquisition (Stock for Stock)".

RC
    -- --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX
    (Retired. No longer licensed to practice public accounting.)

Microsoft Windows MVP (2002-2010)
    (Using Quicken Deluxe 2015 R3 and Windows Live Mail in Win8.1 x64)

"danbrown" wrote in message

A Mutual Fund is, legally, a corporation. That's why what you own are
    called "shares" of the fund. So Corp Acq would have still been appropriate.

And I had forgotten about the "Mutual Fund Conversion" action ... if that
    exists in Deluxe.

R. C. White, Oct 27, 2014
  7. Al

Al Guest

As mentioned earlier I resorted to brute force before fully grasping the options. I didn't know about the Mutual Fund Conversion Tod reported and didn't think the Corporate Acquisition suggested earlier quite fit.

See? I don't know squat and always learn from this forum. THANKS!

Now I am ready for the next conversion, although I recall a coworker say that every time she learned the answers they changed the questions....

Al, Oct 27, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question