UK self assessment error


Jan 23, 2013
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum and joined to ask a question. My new chartered accountant has discovered an accounting error made by my old chartered accountant. The old accountant has declared the tax I paid in Australia on my Australian income as UK tax paid for the year 2010-11. As a result I may have underpaid 2010-11 tax by £1500. If this is a true error, how can I proceed, what responsibility does the old accountant have to correct the mistake, is there a regulatory body or similar that I can get advice from? Please let me know your thoughts. thanks



VIP Member
Aug 26, 2011
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forums :)

I think the first step would be to ascertain whether or not an error has been made (residency is a very complicated area of tax - it might be that you were entitled to relief under a double tax agreement, it is very difficult to say with the limited facts). If an error has indeed been made, then the next step should be to approach your previous accountant - whether directly or through your new accountant. If they are being unreasonable or uncooperative then the next step might be to contact the body with which they are registered (eg ICAEW).

There is some guidance on the ICAEW website (Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales) which might help - again this is only relevant if they are registered with that body.

Make a complaint | Complaints | Protecting the public | Act in the public interest | ICAEW

Best bet is to speak to your new accountant and go from there.

Hope this helps!
  • Like
Reactions: doc

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Similar Threads

Self assessment errors 3
Self-assessment 9
CIS - Self assessment 6
Advice on self assessment 3
Appealling Self Assessment 0
Self-Assessment Newbie 15
Self assessment and VAT 1
UK Self Assessment Calculation 3