USA SEP IRA CONTRIBUTIONS

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello
I live Miami, Florida.

I have a S-Corp and am the only share holder. I opened up a SEP IRA for my retirement. I pay myself via K1 instead of W2. I understand that businesses with W2 Employees are able to deduct 25% of their employees income when making contributions.

My question is how does this work if I am paid via K1 and not W2 income?

My accountant told me I can't do get any deductions for it. I am a little annoyed because I opened up the SEP IRA because she told me to do it.

Can anybody give me some guidance?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can not pay yourself via K1 instead of W2. You are an employee of your company and so the IRS requires that the company pay you at least a reasonably competitive salary via W2. If you don't give yourself a reasonable W2 salary, then the IRS will charge you back-taxes on the amounts you payed yourself under K1 as well as hefty penalties. Anything above and beyond a reasonable W2 salary can be paid to you via K1.

I'm not an expert on retirement services, but as far as I know there are no deduction minimums or limits on retirement plans. There are yearly contribution limits though. You probably can't make contributions to your IRA from your K1 income. I think you can only make deductions from 'earned income', income that is susceptible to FICA taxes. Thus, you will need to deduct it from your W2 income.

Ask a Question