Should I Become an Accountant?

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I recently graduated with a bachelors degree in paralegal studies, but cannot find a job. I'm just about giving up on my job search. My question to everyone is whether the accounting filed is better? Is it worth it to get a degre in accounting, or is the job field the same? Also, how difficult would it be to land a job with one of the "Big 4"?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Given the economy its tough to land a job anywhere. More and more accountant jobs are beign outsourced to India, so it pays to try and specialize as soon as possible. The Big 4 often have a recruitment and training program for those just out of college. if they don't recruit out of your college, you'll have to go the extra mile to get noticed. Also these firms have expanded their scope from just accounting to strategic consulting.

Reaction score
Donald11 - you have to start somewhere and thinking about the big 4 now may be premature. It's great to look into the stars but you gotta start with your feet on the ground first.

Also are you open to travelling?
The world is huge so opportunities may lay outside of where you reside.
For previous generations it was not a problem to leave a whole country to start new, Don't be afraid to explore.

Reaction score
Accounting is suited for certain personalities and you do need a certain aptitude for it. About 50% of my second year coursemates opted out of accounting once they realized how hard it was. You may have it, you may not. Have you done any accounting courses before?

Ask a Question