USA Should I get my master's degree in Accounting

Reaction score
I am an undergraduate Accounting major. My school offers a program where by going one extra semester plus some summer classes, I can get my Master's degree immediately after getting my undergraduate degree. But, it's going to cost around $25,000 extra on top of all the other debt I'm in from my normal degree. And I spoke to a CPA who said that I won't really need the master's degree, all that matters is the CPA certification, but I want to get more than one opinion before making my final decision. So, what I want to know is if it's worth it to get the master's degree in the long run and spend the $25k now, or if I should just save the money and skip it if it's not worth it.

Thanks.

Reaction score
An Online Master’s Degree in Accounting is a specialized program that is aimed to advance your knowledge and skills in the field of accounting. So its always better to earn better degree so it can advance your career as well as you get a salary raise for sure.

Reaction score
Getting a masters degree in Accounting an invaluable investment that you can make towards your career progression in Accounting.

I always advice people to start by taking Masters in accounting (MAcc) and then study towards certification while on the job.

MAcc does not only give you an edge in the labour market, it also gives you that extra grounded knowledge in accounting theory and practice.

I got my MAcc before getting Certified. I hope this helps.

Reaction score
Are you allowed to delay and still gain entry to the program? I agree with chinweike about the value of the degree, but the cost is still something to consider strongly and with caution before you decide to go for it. A lot depends on your financial situation.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It depends on what you want to do. I chose to get an MBA instead of an MAFM because I wanted to learn about all aspects of business, not just accounting/finance. I have found that in the working world having a broader base helps me make better strategic decisions AND communicate better with non-accounting/finance colleagues. However, I work in industry and plan to stay there - if your career goals involve working for an accounting firm, then the answer may be different.

Ask a Question