Should I go back for Accounting degree?

Reaction score
I received a degree in Finance 2 years ago but have had zero luck finding work outside of life insurance sales, teller positions etc. I have recently considered going back to school and pursuing a second bachelors in Accounting. The employment outlook for Accounting is above average and I think my odds of finding employment would be high. Has anyone gone this same route or had similar thoughts? Maybe a friend that was in a comparable situation? Thanks for your help!

-Adam

Reaction score
Since you already have a degree in finance, it will a waste of resources going for a degree in Accounting, What I would do if am in your shoes is take professional exams in accounting. An accounting degree will not give you all you need to get that firs accounting job, but professional qualification will definitely do.
Good Luck!!

Reaction score
Adam - Are you getting good job interviews? Maybe your problem is you need to polish up your resume.

Keep in mind the job market is tight right now and job openings are at a premium.

Reaction score
Also, I have to second chinweike. Check into an accredited certification program! Make sure you review the licensing requirements.

Reaction score
I wouldn't get an accounting degree. I am a CPA, and my position, a 72K position is being moved to Malaysia. I am not the only one. Our whole department is gone now. 9 people at around 75K-gone to Malaysia. Another 15-20 gone from another office. All accountants and not A/P clerks or data entry.

The Finance Writer

VIP Member
Reaction score
As an adviser to young accountants and accounting practices seeking to expand, the replies of others to this question appear to accurately reflect employment conditions. The job market for accounting is hot mostly for recent grads who are CPA candidates. Large accounting firms want fresh graduates who they can work excessively. Some corporations want lower cost non-CPA employees for their finance staffs, but these jobs are not always secure.

One promissing area is smaller local accounting practices that have difficulty filling staff accounting jobs. Most of these entities focus on tax, but also handle general accounting. The work isn’t too difficult and you maximize your income with an ability to prepare tax returns under supervision. If you don’t have any work history in tax preparation, local accounting practices will hire people with no experience as long as they have some proven skills. You can develop tax expertise by studying for the Enrolled Agent exam.

Passing the EA exam is much easier than the CPA exam. However, you need a course that focuses on tax subjects. A free test bank of sample questions is available at Enrolled Agent Exam Review and Study Guide With a quality review course you'll have all the knowledge needed for preparing every type of tax return. A small accounting practice will then train you with software and file documentation procedures.

I’ve advised several accountants to take this avenue in the past three years – including some CPAs who thought they would not like tax jobs. They all ended up enjoying the work at a smaller operation where they had contact with a multitude of interesting clients… despite some long workdays for about six week per year.

bklynboy

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I also had a Finance degree and wasnt able to find great paying jobs as most entry level finance positions are snapped up by the better known schools. After 2 years in Finance, mostly working as a retail broker, I went back and got my accounting degree. For me, there was more job opportunities and though initially at a lower pay scale, I found the combination of a Finance and Accounting background made me more marketable and opened up more opportunities. Within 5 years I rose to an officer level and continue to grow as I can not only explain the accounting but bring an economic thinking process to the job.

So my recommendation is yes pursue accounting as it will open more doors and make sure you utilize your finance background in your role to supplement and help differentiate you from a pure accounting role.

Personally I dont recommend the CPA - at least for me was not a career venue I wanted. I preferred to work more on financial accounting where I can assist an organization in driving value.

Last edited:

ACC

Reaction score
It really depends - it would be helpful to know what state (or at least country!) you're in. If you're in the States and eventually want to become a CPA (not an endeavour to take lightly), an accounting degree may help fulfil the credit hours. If you don't want to become a CPA, you're almost better off trying to work in any old accounts department in a junior position and attempting to work your way up. Yes, lots of organisations are outsourcing these sorts of roles, but there will always be some around (especially at smaller firms). Your finance degree should be enough of a credential to get you entry-level accounts assistant jobs.

Ask a Question