UK Should I leave my current job at a FTSE 100 company?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am in a bit of a dilemma.

This is my current situation:
I currently work at the global head office a multinational FTSE 100 company, just outside the London boundary. I used to work at a large retail company in central London as a temporary FP&A analyst for one year (my first job after graduating) before moving into my current job. I am a part qualified Finance Systems analyst, working primarily on IBM Cognos and HFM, and I have now been here for one year. I am also being fully supported for my CIMA qualification by my employer, and I only have 5 exams left to complete before I am fully qualified- I have passed all of my exams so far first time (although I was also exempt from quite a few).

There are a few problems I have:
  • I don't find my current role very challenging- although I am not too worried about this, as I expect to be moved into a different role in the future (assuming I stay), so this is a deterrent for me to leave.
  • If I were to leave before I qualify, I would most likely have to repay all the CIMA fees that my employer has paid, and this is also a deterrent for me to leave.
  • I've built a great network here, so if I leave, it's likely going to look quite bad.
  • My salary is well below the normal average for a part-qualified accountant/finance analyst- by at least £4-5k, if not more. I have tried to get them to increase this, but to no avail. It's likely that my salary when I am qualified will also be lower than the average for qualified accountants/analysts. There are plenty of part-qualified jobs out there that are paying what I think I should be on, so this is an incentive for me to leave my current job.
  • I know this may sound silly, but I really miss working in central London, and I would love to go back! I really don't like the place I'm working in (Hertfordshire). Again, an incentive for me to leave.
So my question is, what should I do? Is it bad to leave a company after one year? Should I leave this prestigious, multinational FTSE 100 company? Qualifying with them will look very good on my CV. Also what would I say in an interview, if I were asked 'Why are you leaving your current job at this FTSE 100 company?' I don't 'hate' my job (although I don't love it), and I really like the people there, but I am being underpaid and I will be losing out on a lot of money. Can you please advise? Thank you!

Last edited:

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You do not have a dilemma. You have no other true option at this time.

Once you have a firm job offer from a better job, THEN you have a dilemma.

Ask a Question