USA Should I switch from teaching to accounting?

What should I do?

• 14 Month MBA Program at RBS

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 24 Month MS Program ar FDU

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Country
United States
Good Morning everyone,

I'm new to the board and currently deliberating a career switch. I was wondering what other people, besides my family and friends, thought about my situation. Here it is...

I have been a teacher for four years and looking for a career change. My father is a CPA and has his own business so I know the hard work and benefits of an accounting career. I recently applied and got accepted to Rutgers Business School Professional Accounting MBA Program. It takes 14 months and you are pretty much guaranteed a contract from a big 4 at the end. It is full time so I would have to quit my current teaching job, and live at home with my parents to save money. This program after all of the fees is $60,000 which I can afford out of pocket, but I am not sure if this program is necessary.

The other option is to complete a part time MS in Accounting Program at Fairleigh Dickinson University and it would take around two years to complete. Classes would be at nights/weekends, would cost around $40,000 after everything, and since I would still be working, I would not have to move back home. My father, believes I should do it part time, while my fiance thinks the 14 month program is best.

I am still not sure and have until orientation, June 1st, to decide. If anyone here has any advice, ideas, or questions to ask me that might help my decision I would be greatly appreciative. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
The Rutgers program has the "promise" of a job. What about the Fairleigh program?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Go in for the MBA Program. Although it is more expensive, it would be a shorter term , which means you are not stuck to teaching and plus you are definitive of getting a job at the end of it, which makes it a better deal. Unless, the Fairleigh is also offering some kind of a job guarantee.

Reaction score
Country
United States
umm yea all colleges offer "the deal of a lifetime"... I am really confused...why would you spend all that time saving and spending $60,000 for someone to train you to work for someone else and not own a franchise and keep your teaching job while getting the tax perks of being a business owner? Or go FT in a business and make more money and build wealth? For $1000 you could buy your own Franchise. Geesh...I hate the fact that people are misinformed.

Ask a Question