USA Signing tax returns as paid preparer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,

I hold an active Colorado CPA license but am employed at a CPA firm in Memphis, Tennessee. I do not yet have my Tennessee CPA reciprocal license, so I do not hold myself out to be a CPA in my current job. I also have a PTIN with the IRS through my CO CPA credentials.

Do any of you have an opinion on whether I would be able to sign tax returns (1040) as the preparer in my current job in Tennessee? I would think that the IRS, not the State Board of Accountancy, dictates who can prepare/sign tax returns, but I am not sure about that. In looking at IRS literature on the topic, I've found that basically anyone with a PTIN can "prepare" a tax return, but does "prepare" also mean sign it? I queried the Tennessee Board of Accountancy on their thoughts, but they did not answer the question and instead encouraged me to get a reciprocal Tennessee license (which I certainly will).

I'm just trying to find an answer of whether I can be signing tax returns as preparer in Tennessee before I obtain my Tennessee CPA certificate. Again, I do have a PTIN from the IRS. Many thanks on your thoughts!

Drmdcpa

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You cannot sign as a CPA but you should be able to sign as a PTIN.

You should also check TN regulations. Some states like CA and NY control preparers that do not have a professional licenses or an EA certificate.

Ask a Question