small tax accountant or management accountant

Reaction score
So. I am a Chartered Accountant (similiar to a CPA). I have done the tax compliance role for a small tax firm. It is a good enough job. Taking managment accounting for a spin seems like a good idea.

To the accountants out there, what say you? Is management accounting more interesting/more varied/better lifestyle?

The Finance Writer

VIP Member
Reaction score
I know both CPAs and one Chartered Accountant that work in management accounting. Some are happy with the corporate environment and others are not. The Chartered Accountant finds that not being a CPA holds her back -- and she's also lawyer who passed the bar exam. She has enough education to qualify for a CPA license if she could pass the CPA exam. But, like some of the people I know who are already CPAs, work with a small firm appeals to them more than having minor roles at large corporations.

So, your decision depends upon what surroundings are most conducive to your aptitude and interests. Remember that accounting is a certification-oriented profession. Hence, CPAs get the most career boost in large enterprises. If you simply want more advancement opportunity at a smaller tax entity, completing the Enrolled Agent exam seems more appropriate as commanding respect for tax expertise.

Ask a Question