USA Small Used Car Dealer Looking For Excellent Accountant

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I am a used car dealer located in San Diego, California. In the past I used turbotax for filing my tax return, but I have decided to hire an accountant going forward. I have some questions if you guys would be so kind to add your input.

1. Should i use an accountant with experience in my industry or will just any accountant work?
2. What questions should I ask to see if we are a good fit?
3. I am usually a thrifty person (wife says I am cheap). I know that going cheap can end up costing a lot more in the long run, so I am trying to not let the cost bother me. I have talked to some a few of the bigger accounting firms that have experience in the auto industry. There hourly rate is around $300 per hour. Is this high? Is it worth it to hire a firm like this?
4. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed by the search and process. I know the value of hiring the right person for the job, but I also dont want to over think it either.

Thank you for any advice or help you guys can offer!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good Morning,
I am an accountant of 15 years, I would strongly advise against Turbo Tax due to the fact that so many recordings are miscalculated. One question you would want to ask an accountant is if you owe estimated tax payments, past and moving forward. This is very important you would want the accountant to review your 2013 tax return to eliminate future IRS penalties and interest fees if you owe estimated taxes, and to advise you on the tax liability. Ideally your not just looking for an accountant to do your taxes but also protect your assets, and to also be aware of the best interest of your company. Filing taxes is the easy part, but finding someone who is looking at your assets and business interest is the hard part. Best of luck, should you need any help with your taxes please feel free to ask.

Coastline Bookkeeping & Outsource LLC
Accountant
Monica Leazenby

Ask a Question