France Some questions about the accounting profession

Reaction score
Country
France
Hello all

I am currently in training to develop my professional project which is to become an accountant.

I need to conduct a survey as part of my training to better understand / discover the job in order to realize if the field of accounting suits me.

I would really appreciate it if any accountants could answer a few questions that could help me greatly.

If this is not the correct place to pose these questions can you suggest other forums?

Thank you for your attention and time spent answering.

Thank you in advance

1. What is a typical work day for you?

2. What are the main tasks?

3. What skills are needed to practice the profession?

4. What qualifications are required to enter this profession?

5. What are the working conditions (teamwork, autonomy, job responsibility)?

6. What are the hours?

7. What are the constraints?

8. What qualities are necessary?

9. What are the development opportunities (promotion)?

10. What is the average salary?

11. What are the positive and negative aspects of the job for you?

12. What area of accountancy do you work in?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Mark,
A lot of accounting work is incredibly boring. You spend hours "putting the square pegs in the square holes and the round pegs in the round holes". Especially at entry level.
Some accounting environments are intensely political. Think Game Of Thrones. So, you have to know your self, what you like, and what you are good at. Career planning.
If you like to solve puzzles, then you will do well as an accountant. You will get problems like: "Our client just sold his company in South Africa and wants to expat the money to the USA, which South Africa does not allow. And his business partner died 3 months ago, so half the company sale proceeds are part of that estate." So you have to sit down and figure out this puzzle.
You can get chances to really help people. I've helped people pull their business out of bankruptcy. I've help people out of problems with tax authorities. Those were hugely satisfying.
It's not enough to just be "an accountant". You have to expand your knowledge base, and get good at specific areas.
You can make very, very good money, depending on your luck and how well you manage your career moves.
Good luck!
Matt

Werner Reisacher

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I am working in IT tells you as much about me as if I told you, that I am working in Accounting.
Accounting is a technique that allows the sorting of financial transactions into categories and accounts in order to identify the financial impact such transactions do have on a company. The word Accounting does not indicate whether
- you are working in a bank
- in a broadway theater
- a car manufacturing plant
- or at a car dealership
Nobody can reach both, optimal professional performance and personal satisfaction, if the workplace and the type of activities at the workplace are not a match with the personal interests of the employee.
Professors and teachers can teach you the necessary techniques that are needed to carry out your accounting job, but whether you prefer to be surrounded my engineers, IT nerds, fashion people, or car drivers is up to you to decide.

Ask a Question