USA someone with a fake ss, now has a good ss number

Reaction score
help with this situation, there is this friend of mine, who just received a valid social security number, under the deferred action from Obama, He worked and received 2 w2s from the 2 prior years, with a fake Social security number but hans't filed taxes yet. I heard that he can do it, but how would he go about doing it? when efiling 2013 will he have to report the fake ss number anywhere on the return? to add to the complexity, his W2s has his name misspelled by one word. I am assuming for prior years he just paper file everything.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
This is major federal stuff. Send your friend to an attorney to ask how to resolve this. Penalties for this stuff (false SSN) go up to 30 years fed prison time.

Reaction score
Do a yahoo search on "can undocumented aliens file income tax" and go to irs(dot)gov and type ITIN into the search box and read everything you can there.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have to agree with Kirby. Go ask a tax attorney first, then make your move.

In theory, if he hasn't filed anything with that fake SSN before, he may have not committed any real crime, but still I advise you to be careful.

ITIN is not an option for alien citizens who already have a SSN, so I think it will not be an option for you in this case.

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
This involves more than just your friend--the company(s) he/she has worked for have also paid payroll taxes to that fake ss#. :mad:

There may be a way to just file things for an incorrect ss# (because I'm sure real accidents do happen), so you could try that route. But I'm sure there's some legal liability for doing this for 2 years, and I'm sure that 'application' for a real ss had some verbage of what rights were relenquished and what the penalties are for past grievences.

Ask a Question