USA Starting a career in accounting 6 years out of college

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello All,

I graduated college with a bachelor's and master's in accounting in 2009. While in my master's program, I was working for my current employer in an unrelated role. I've never had professional accounting experience, but now I'm interested in getting into the field. I'm willing to start at an entry level position, but my accounting knowledge has faded. Do you have any recommendations for me?

Much appreciated,
Travis

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Try not to go the entry level route as that is a big hit to your income and there is no guarantee that you will make up ground quickly. I suggest you get a second master's degree (this time in tax would work) and use that as the entry point to a new accounting job.

Reaction score
Hello All,

I graduated college with a bachelor's and master's in accounting in 2009. While in my master's program, I was working for my current employer in an unrelated role. I've never had professional accounting experience, but now I'm interested in getting into the field. I'm willing to start at an entry level position, but my accounting knowledge has faded. Do you have any recommendations for me?

Much appreciated,
Travis
Hi,
If you want to work for your current employer in Accounts, see if you can get a temporary job as assistant to the head accountant while remaining employed in your current position or taking a few months off without pay, if your employer is willing to help you with the transition from your current job to the new one. Accounting is not difficult to relearn and a little practical experience is all you need. Taking an accounting software course (Peachtree, Quick Books, or whichever program your company uses) at an Institute may be all you need to get started.

Ask a Question