USA State audit

Reaction score
Country
United States
We are being audited by our state. (individual not a business) I contacted my accountant and he suggested we forward the papers over for him to look at. A month has gone by, nothing. I contacted him again and said haven't look at it yet. We have 90 days to dispute what we owe or have to pay the amount in full. I know we are in the midst of tax season. Is it unreasonable of me to contact him a third time to see what the deal is? I want to just pay this and be done with it, but it might as well be a mistake on the state's part too. Should I just wait patiently for my accountant to look at it. We do have 60 more days to respond.

Drmdcpa

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I would like to tell many of my clients this very thing:

I spend about an hour per day answering phones and emails from impatient people. It would not be so bad if they all came at one time. But they do not. They come throughout the day and are very disruptive. If they did not occur, I could be much more efficient and probably would not recieve as many inquiries.

Further it seems that those that have issues that can wait until after April filing deadline tend to be the ones that are the most nuisance and impatient.

I try to impart to others when they are questioning their behavior to ask one very simple question. That question is "what would happen if everyone behaved the same way?"

So after tax season when you contact your accountant, if they do not contact you first, tell them they owe me a beer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks I appreciate your honesty.. I will wait for him to contact me.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So months go by, haven't heard a thing. I make another call. Still has to look into it as of today. Hasn't had the time really. Btw the deadline is fast approaching. After all this, may have to look for a new accountant for my future financial etc....

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I always say treat the folks who work for you equally. Meaning whether it is your handyman or your CPA or lawyer, you are paying them and YOU are the shot caller. If they don't get back to you when you need them, do not wait - that makes no sense - CALL them right away. In your case time is now short CALL NOW or VISIT THEM UNTIL THEY RESPOND, and ask for when they will get it done and that date has to be well in advance of the tax deadline. In think in your case, I would immediately get a new accountant NOW who can at least help you with getting a postponement while the same new accountant reviews and develops an understanding of your tax issue.

In any case, since your current accountant has made this a painful experience for you , ABSOLUTELY find another one. Ask friends for whom they use and would recommend and move on to a better life.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well we have been contacted and it has been handled. SO all good from here on out.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Always glad to hear a happy ending :)

Ask a Question