State Income Tax Refund Checks Still Good after Void Date on Check?

Discussion in 'Tax' started by joseph.w.pak, Mar 27, 2007.

  1. joseph.w.pak

    joseph.w.pak Guest

    Can you still deposit/cash an Income Tax Refund check issued
    by the State AFTER the 180 days in which it states your
    check will be voided?

    I recently uncovered a State of NJ income tax refund check
    dated April 24, 2006. It is March 26, 2007 - almost a year

    I have heard you can deposit a government-issued check
    within a year of the check date. Is this true? If so,
    please let me know and I will run over to the ATM tonight!

    Thank you guys!
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2018
    joseph.w.pak, Mar 27, 2007
    1. Advertisements

  2. The general rule is that after six months a bank can accept
    or reject a check, at its discretion.

    But if the check says on the face of it that it's not good
    after 180 days, I wouldn't chance it. Ask them to issue a
    new check.

    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2018
    Stuart A. Bronstein, Mar 28, 2007
    1. Advertisements

  3. joseph.w.pak

    Phil Marti Guest

    I've heard that banks charge outrageous fees when a deposit
    bounces. I'd go the safe route of having the state reissue
    the check. For an intermediate level of safety, call the
    state and ask.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2018
    Phil Marti, Mar 28, 2007
  4. joseph.w.pak

    Steve Foley Guest

    If the check says void on it, it's void. Your bank may
    charge you a bad check fee for depositing it.

    Call the state and find out about issuing a replacement.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2018
    Steve Foley, Mar 28, 2007
  5. Clearly it's worth a try. But I wouldn't count on that
    money being there till it clears (give it two or three weeks
    to be sure).

    Or, why not call the state and ask. What's the worst they
    can say, "Nope, we'll have to issue you another check".
    Beats a bunch of NSF fees.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2018
    Paul Thomas, CPA, Mar 28, 2007
  6. I would ask your bank if they think the check will be
    honored and whether they will charge you if it is not. But
    all is not lost, if you contact the state, they will issue a
    replacement check. It will take them some time to confirm
    that the original hasn't been cashed (unless you return it
    to them), but they will issue a new one.

    Ira Smilovitz
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2018
    Ira Smilovitz, Mar 28, 2007
  7. can't - gov limousine liberal & the tax & spend junkies
    (legislature) have spent it long time ago

    void after 180 days - means take it seriously
    you will neet to ask for a new refund check

    <<< Benjamin Yazersky, CPA [NJ & NY] >>>
    -----> real address on hobokeni or hobokenx <-----
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2018
    Benjamin Yazersky CPA, Mar 28, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.