Student Loan Chapter 7 BK

Discussion in 'Bankruptcy' started by Mona, May 6, 2004.

  1. Mona

    Mona Guest

    I am filing for Chapter 7 and completing the forms myself due to lack
    of funds to hire an attorney. A few years back I worked for an
    attorney and completed BK forms on occasion so I am comfortable with
    everything except listing my student loans. Can someone assist me with
    the correct schedule to list them on etc.

    There is one other issue concerning my student loans. I am 100%
    disabled and on SSI now due from a spinal infection which has left me
    a functioning paraplegic. I was in school 2 years ago and working
    despite the disability. Since the time I finished school but lost my
    job and my disability has gotten worse. There is a slim chance that
    someone may hire me. But after applying for over 250 jobs in the last
    18 months and not being hired I am beginning to think no one will ever
    hire me.

    If I want to get my student loans discharged is it best to try with
    the bankruptcy or should I do it with the lending institution?


    Mona, May 6, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. Mona

    Thoth Guest

    You'd list them on schedue F. If the loans haven't been consolidated I list
    the total and the period of time during which the debts were incurred (E.g.,
    1998 -- 2002).
    I'm sorry to hear that.
    I would start with the lender, but wouldn't expect too much. If your
    student loans are guaranteed by a governmental entity you may be qualified
    for a income sensitive repayment. In the district in which I practice these
    cases are defended by offering such repayment programs. That said, the kind
    of disability you describe seems pretty good justification for discharge.
    Are you familiar with the controlling case law?
    Thoth, May 6, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. For total disability, it's best to take care of that through the student
    loan program. Your doctor will have to complete the disability form, and
    that should take care of it.
    Lost-In-Translation, May 6, 2004
  4. Mona

    Mona Guest

    I am not familar with the controlling case law in California where I
    now live and took out the loans 3 years ago. I am pretty good and
    resoureful when it comes to informing myself in such matters.

    You gave me some good information to help me get the loans under
    control in some way. I will look into income sensitive repayment and
    do some research on the controlling case law and see what I can find

    Thanks for your help!

    Mona, May 7, 2004
  5. Mona

    Thoth Guest

    I just got some information from SallieMae on Income-Sensitive Repayment
    (ISR). I still have more questions, but basically the ISR program allows
    you to service all your federal funded student loans for as little as 4% of
    your gross income. If 4% turns out to be less than the monthly interest,
    the balance is covered by a forbearance and capitalized. You must requalify
    every 12 months, but the application looks very simple, and the only
    documentation required is proof of income.

    Here's a link to case law that may help.

    Check here for the Federal Student Aid site:
    Thoth, May 7, 2004
  6. Mona


    Feb 10, 2011
    Likes Received:
    Discharging Student Loans

    You should consider talking in detail with a bankruptcy attorney to determine if the student loans would be able to be discharged as part of your bankruptcy case. In order for student loans to be discharged in bankruptcy you have to meet an undue hardship standard. Once you file bankruptcy you have to file an adversary proceeding and show that you meet this standard. This website describes better the standard that you have to meet in order to discharge the student loans in Chapter 7 bankruptcy.

    It sounds like a difficult standard to meet for most people but you would benefit from talking to an experienced bankruptcy attorney to determine if your situation falls into this category. You may have a good chance given what you have described of your situation. This is definitely a complex area of the law and you wouldn't want to go at it alone.
    nduen, Feb 10, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.