USA Student. On the right track?

S7n

Reaction score
Currently, I am looking to get a BBA at one of the two major universities in my state. Both offer 4/5 yr BBA's, not degrees in accounting, like in my father's day. According to what I have researched I should take loads of classes involving accounting. So, I would graduate with a BBA, with a concentration on accounting. However, I have heard from a lot of sources that business degrees are useless.

My question is, do these useless degrees pertain to general business majors only? Am I on the right track to get a job in accounting? Do I need a masters and/or CPA license to really get a job?

I rather ask people in the field, rather than consult my school's counseling center. They do a good job of marketing useless degrees to people. I don't trust them.

The Finance Writer

VIP Member
Reaction score
The accounting jobs you're probably contemplating require a CPA license. Only a few corporations and small accounting firms hire staff unlicensed accountants. Opportunities for advancement are limited. Large accounting firms hire only CPA license candidates.

CPA licensing varies by state, but each has education requirements for a minimum number of hours in accounting at the college level. In many states, the number of hours is sufficient to qualify for a master's degree. However, advanced degrees are not required for a CPA license. In fact, you can take the CPA exam after only having enough hours for a bachelor's degree. This is worth considering as you near graduation with the BBA. You can learn more about study for the CPA exam at CPA Exam Review, CPA Exam Courses and CPA Review Books - FFA.

You can, however, find a job in the tax industry without a CPA license. Passing the Enrolled Agent exam will certainly help you prepare for tax work. Many firms do not want untrained tax preparers. You can find out more about the Enrolled Agent exam and license at Enrolled Agent Exam Prep and EA Study Guide.

Ask a Question