UK Studying for accountancy

Reaction score
Hi All

Looking for some 'independent' advice here.

I am now 28 and have worked as a retail manager all of my life, but always had accountancy in the back of my mind as a career. I've got to the point where I'm fed up of retail and actually want to do something about my accountancy desires.

I am obviously unqualified at this point, and everything I look at points me in the direction of studying AAT. Is this the best way to go, or is there better alternatives?

And if so - what is the best way to study for this?

PS - I should point out that I am UK Based.

Cheers
Andy

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Andy,

Well I would just like to advise you that before you start studying for any accountancy qualification try to get into the accounts/finance department and get some experience under your belt. I speak from personal experience as it will also help you to relate better to what you are studying. Maybe you should start directly with ACCA? Just my suggestion.

Regards,

Reaction score
I would suggest reaching out to accountants and other finance professionals just to talk with them about their career and every day activities.

This will help you make contacts in the profession and help you determine if that is the type of work you eventually want to do.

Ask a Question