Sunset version categorizing downloaded transfer second transaction

Reaction score
I am trying to follow this recommendation from unable to post link because I am a newbie. How to do things in Money: Downloaded transaction data from unofficial microsoft.public.money FAQ and A.

Unfortunately I am getting all twisted up. I have downloaded my new transactions from my accounts (I have 6 plus a couple of credit cards). When I categorized new downloads, I mark the first transaction in the pair as transfer to the second account and then the second transaction as a transfer to the first. Silly me I didn't realize that I would end up with 4 transactions. In order to undo this can I just delete one pair without messing up my bank account balances? The above help does not mention the 2009 or sunset version. And it says to void the transaction. Is VOID and delete the same action?

As soon as I clean up this mess, which I am not looking forward to, how do I categorize from now on. The way I have been doing it doesn't make any sense to me. I go to the reports section and choose "Spending by Category". Then I click on the link Assign Categories. But it will not allow me to do special transfers from here. So I have to go into one of my accounts and do a "Find a Transaction", choose Advanced, Choose "Advanced search" (again sigh), then go to the category search tab, hit the clear all button, hit the include unassigned transaction buttons and finally get the transactions that need to be categorized. I must be missing something because this is a very messy way to do a common action.

And lastly, what is the difference between unreconciled cleared and reconciled. When and why should I change these around.

Connie

Ask a Question