USA Switching to Married filing seperately

Reaction score
Country
United States
We filed Married Filing Jointly for 2013 return, however, this year H&R Block software showing that we would be better off filing under Married Filing Separately. I filed for extension for 2014 so that I have time to make sure I do it right. However, in my attempt to do that, I found out that I need to determine the penalty by filing form 1022, which is asking me to indicate my portion of the 2013 tax liability, if it had been filed under Married Filing Separately. We itemized in 2013 and will itemize for 2014. Is there an easier way to figure out my portion of the taxes paid in 2013 with joint filing without actually doing all the work again that went into filing for 2013? I know that there is the option that IRS will calculate that and let me know what my penalty will be, but I want to know that our final pay out is not going to be more than if we had filed jointly before I file the return. I would be happy to provide additional info if needed. I appreciate the help.

Ask a Question