USA Tax Obligations Non-Resident Alien & Crowdfunding Investment

Reaction score
I have the following concern about taxes. I'd appreciate any advice on this.

- I am a Non-Resident Alien. I don't live in US, I visit US as much as once per year as a visitor.
- I have a (personal) bank account in a US Bank.
- A year ago I've invested in a crowdfunding opportunity, a startup in Phoenix.
- After a year, I have received my first paycheck for that investment.
- I know I need to pay taxes in my country of residence which do not have a tax treaty with US.

I am needing some advice to see if I have an obligation to pay taxes in US for that or any investment I made.

Thank you for your support.

Reaction score
Country
United States
1.Was your investment in the company in the form of a loan or as an equity owner?
2. Did the company explain to you what kind of payment it was, such as interest, dividend, partial return of your investment (kinda too soon though) when you received the 'paycheck'?
3. You could also be liable for paying state income tax to the State of Arizona.
4. Were there any taxes deducted (withheld) from the 'paycheck'?
5. Did you sign any legal documents to proof that you are an investor?
6. If you are required to pay U. S. taxes, you need a tax I D for foreigner.
7. As an additional comment, be careful with your money in the Phoenix bank.
In case something happens to you, your deposit and investment may have estate tax issues for your beneficiary.

Reaction score
1.Was your investment in the company in the form of a loan or as an equity owner?
The purchase agreement was for membership units, so I guess 'equity' is the answer to your question. I have a small founder unit on the company, there are 500 Units authorized.

It is an LLC, Limited Liability Company.

2. Did the company explain to you what kind of payment it was, such as interest, dividend, partial return of your investment (kinda too soon though) when you received the 'paycheck'?
The first paycheck was a "guaranteed distribution" of dividend.

3. You could also be liable for paying state income tax to the State of Arizona.
Could you please provide more information on this?

4. Were there any taxes deducted (withheld) from the 'paycheck'?
No, in US. I specifically asked about this and the answer was that it were no tax withheld.

5. Did you sign any legal documents to proof that you are an investor?
I did sign the purchase agreement, and I got a copy of the documents by postal mail.

6. If you are required to pay U. S. taxes, you need a tax I D for foreigner.
With the info provided, can you elaborate a bit on the answer (obligations about taxes for foreign people), or provide any additional reference about this?

7. As an additional comment, be careful with your money in the Phoenix bank.
In case something happens to you, your deposit and investment may have estate tax issues for your beneficiary.
Thanks for clarifying about this. I don't have a Bank account in US. I have one in Florida. But even considering that, I am a bit concerned about the overall tax obligations. I am clear about it in my country, but difficult to find a serious advice (until now) regarding taxes in US.

Thanks for all your support!

Ask a Question