USA Teach Full Time Looking to work Part Time as Professional? Do the jobs exist?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello All,
Sorry for the lengthy subject line, but I couldn't figure out to catch people's attention. Long story short:
I was a successful financial advisor for 15 years straight out of college. I am a CFP recipient.
I "retired" at 38, because I wasn't fulfilled and was burned out by the stock market part of the job. I always loved the planning and talking to clients though.
I decided to go and teach full time at an advanced high school where I teach Finance to high school students who have taken various intro accounting and business classes and plan to move into that career path in college. I thoroughly enjoy the career switch, but I do miss the professional side of helping people plan for the future.
I did an MBA in Information Systems Concentration that I finished in May. I learned some, but primarily did it to move over on the district pay scale. A 2 1/2 year breakeven seemed like a no brainer. While I got some strategy and analytics background I didn't take much accounting, and my Bachelors was actually in teaching.
I have learned a ton from guest speakers about the field of FP&A and also CPAs that run their own practices and honestly sound like they focus on FP&A and give
the tax accounting to their "inside people".
I like teaching, but I would really like to supplement my income and have skin in the game still. I really wish I'd known about FP&A at 22 because it fits my personality. Are their part time careers that I could pursue working after 3:00 and in the summers? I don't know the industry well enough. I know in my old field I can't think of those options existing.
Also, I learned from some of my CPA contacts of the CMA. I actually could qualify to sit for that exam with my work experience. I would obviously need to study for the next 6-8 months, but it is an option. I don't know if that is necessary for what I would like to do.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Most high level FP&A jobs can be intense with long hours. Can become a new burnout situation. Choose wisely.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
India
You could try being a lecturer full time and work for as a professional in your free hours. Yes, such jobs exist - try signing up with companies and training institutes that provide educational services. It is a joy in itself!

Ask a Question