USA Technical Termination

Jan 6, 2018
Reaction score
United States
My clients (LLC taxed as a Partnership) sold their business in 2017 and I am preparing the final return (using the 2016 forms). This would be a technical termination as they sold the entire interest and the new owners will take over the business. Also, the sale was primarily for Goodwill but via an installment sale method. I am wondering how to report this for taxes. What I am planning on doing is just prepare the final 2017 return (using 2016 forms), check the Technical Termination box, but then do not report anything on the LLC for the sale. I will then report the sale of the Goodwill on each of the three partner's personal tax returns via Form 6252. Does this sound right? Thank you!

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Similar Threads