USA Theft Loss

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a client (S Corp) who claims a theft took place at his warehouse and he lost about 40k worth of equipment. The equipment is not on the books, nor any depreciation been taken in prior year. How would you deduct his expense on 1120S? I believe I should first book the asset in the current year (2018 already filed). Then complete Form 4684 and include loss (50/50 husband and wife on Schedule K). Can someone tell me if this would be enough? Also, the client does not have any invoices or itemized list of the items stolen. He says he can prepare a list with estimated Cost and determine the adjusted basis. He does not have a police report in his possession. Any thought would be appreciated.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Be sure he includes on his list of stolen items that have no receipts the $800 million in gold and diamonds. :p

I strongly suggest you read this:

One guess as to whom your client will point the finger at when this goes south.

Last edited:

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Absolutely! He claims a large dollar loss for assets not on books, no receipts, no police report on the "theft". How many red flags do you need?? Do not prepare the return. Withdraw from this client.

Ask a Question