UK Third party VAT claim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a self-employed Carpenter, not VAT registered, and have just completed some work at a customers business premises.
I have invoiced him for labour and materials and he wants to claim back the VAT on the materials using the invoices from my suppliers which have been made out to me.
Should I let him have copies of these invoices and could he reclaim the VAT in this way?
Thanks for your advice.

Becky

VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll start off by saying that VAT is not my field of expertise... but I'm almost certain he can't do that. It is you who paid the VAT on materials, and given the fact you are not VAT registered you can't reclaim the VAT paid or charge VAT. So he has not incurred any VAT on the labour and materials which you supplied, despite the fact that you paid VAT on your materials.

If he paid for the supplies himself then it would be a different matter, so perhaps that's what he should do in future in this situation.

Ask a Question