USA Tips on becoming an accountant

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I am 21 years old and I have yet to go to college (graduated in 2012) but I have finally found something I want to do! I am going to get my bachelors in accounting. I am married and I also work full time but I still plan on going to school full time as well. I will probably get my associates and become a payroll clerk or book keeper while I continue school for my bachelors. What I'd like to know is... are there any tips you have for me? I don't know a lot about accounting right now but I am trying to learn.

What do you do on a daily basis as an accountant? How was school for you? Is it hard to find a full time position in your area? Can your job be pretty flexible when you have kids (for when they're sick or have doctors appts)? Is anyone a personal accountant and do you like it? Pros/cons of a personal accountant vs company accountant? Any tips on book keeping or payroll? ANY info is appreciated!!! I'm located in KY and I am very determined.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would recommend to stay away from the accounting profession. There is an oversupply.

smallbushelp

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Don't listen to AvaKO. Do what you want to do. I love being an accountant and I've never had trouble finding a job. There can be more competition for jobs in different states or cities, but that's the same for any job or profession.

Flexibility in any job depends on the company you work for so no comment there. I'm not sure what you mean by personal accountant. To me, there is public accounting - working in a CPA firm and doing tax returns or audits for other companies - and private industry accounting - working for one company in their accounting department. There are pluses and minuses to both types but I preferred being an accountant for a company.

Try reading a book about accounting and accounting businesses or talking with an advisor at a college or university you might attend. You really should talk one-on-one with someone because there's not enough room here to write all I could about accounting.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not going to listen to the first comment. I meant personal accountant because I have heard of people having their own accountant managing their finances. Maybe they meant they have a certain person at a company doing it? I am planning on talking to an advisor next week. Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it. I will also be visiting my library to read up on it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I also study accounting and I must say I really enjoy it. I believe accountants can always find a job or open their own business because every business and company needs them. So good luck becoming an accountant:)

smallbushelp

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi again, just a follow up on the personal accountant thing. You may be thinking of a financial advisor - someone who manages other people's money by helping them with investing decisions and what not. This is not an accountant. There are separate education and licensing requirements for financial advisors.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh okay! I was wondering because I just interviewed with two people for full time nanny positions and they both said that their accountants will withdraw the taxes for me so I don't have to figure out how to do that on my own. One owned their own business so maybe that's their business accountant? The other one just worked at a school so I'm not sure why she has an accountant. It just made me think that it's their personal accountant.

Ask a Question