to VAT or not to VAT?

Reaction score
Hi - Im hoping someone kind can give me some advice about when the best time to register for VAT would be. I'm not sure whether I should just register now or wait until I've turned over the threshold of £72,000. I have just taken the lease for a takeaway/diner and we are curently refitting it completely, set up costs including rent deposit, solicitors fees, re-fit and rent (vat payable) are approx £35,000. I believe that if I don't register until I have to I can still claim back the tax on set up costs later - but would I have to pay the VAT on my sales up to that point too? Also as our budget is very tight it would be useful to get back the VAT on my purchases earlier rather than later - but would I be throwing a considerable amount of money away if I registered now for this reason (ie paying vat on sales up to £72,000? - it would help our cashflow but I'm not sure if its worth it or not. We anticipate turnover to be around £200000. thanks in advance.

Truemanbrown

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi - Im hoping someone kind can give me some advice about when the best time to register for VAT would be. I'm not sure whether I should just register now or wait until I've turned over the threshold of £72,000. I have just taken the lease for a takeaway/diner and we are curently refitting it completely, set up costs including rent deposit, solicitors fees, re-fit and rent (vat payable) are approx £35,000. I believe that if I don't register until I have to I can still claim back the tax on set up costs later - but would I have to pay the VAT on my sales up to that point too? Also as our budget is very tight it would be useful to get back the VAT on my purchases earlier rather than later - but would I be throwing a considerable amount of money away if I registered now for this reason (ie paying vat on sales up to £72,000? - it would help our cashflow but I'm not sure if its worth it or not. We anticipate turnover to be around £200000. thanks in advance.
If your turnover of VAT taxable goods and services supplied within the UK for the previous 12 months is more than the current registration threshold of £77,000, or you expect it to go over that figure in the next 30 days alone, you must register for VAT.

Obviously, the problem you will have if you register voluntarily will be that most of your customers will not be able to reclaim the VAT back. So you will need to price your food accordingly so as not to lose custom.

Ask a Question