Tracking Inventory

Reaction score
Can I utilize the inventory tracking tool in quickbooks without going through sales orders, invoices, and POs? More as a tracking tool rather than a billing tool? The company I am working for using another program for the business operations. The create sales orders, POs, and invoice customers through that program. I had been using quickbooks just for journal entries and to track the books. Now, they want to start tracking inventory with it. Bur rather than duplicate all of the sales/purchase orders and invoices, can I just track inventory and adjust it using journal entries and not POs and SOs?

Reaction score
In QuickBooks Inventory increases by using ENTER BILLS or WRITE CHECKS, using the ITEMS Tab.

Decreases of Inventory would be recorded through Sales Order or Invoice.

Journal entries cannot be added for ITEMS...which essentially is Inventory in QuickBooks.

You might want to look at some of the QuickBooks sample companies loaded within the program that show BATCH Sales being recorded.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can I utilize the inventory tracking tool in quickbooks without going through sales orders, invoices, and POs? More as a tracking tool rather than a billing tool? The company I am working for using another program for the business operations. The create sales orders, POs, and invoice customers through that program. I had been using quickbooks just for journal entries and to track the books. Now, they want to start tracking inventory with it. Bur rather than duplicate all of the sales/purchase orders and invoices, can I just track inventory and adjust it using journal entries and not POs and SOs?
Always use the right sales and purchase forms to keep inventory figures accurate and up to date. Whenever you purchase an inventory, enter the inventory items on a purchase form so that QuickBooks can properly increase inventory quantities. And when you sell inventory,enter the inventory items on a sales form so QuickBooks can properly decrease inventory quantities.

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
From the above posters, it doesn't seem like inventory accounts can be directly manipulated via the general ledger.

So then, you can just use other asset accounts that do let you directly manipulate via the GL. An asset account is an asset account at the end of the day--doesn't matter if it's labeled as a checking account, savings account, or inventory account.

Ask a Question