USA Trainings

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I want to set up some trainings for the accounting department I work in. The CFO and myself are the only two CPA's, so we want to put on basic accounting classes for the group. We are not looking to distribute any CPE's, but rather take a simple topic (such as new ASU's, examples of good controls, debits and credits - accounting 101) and train our group on it.

When I looked around it seems that a lot of the places have crazy prices. For example, "Surgent CPE" offers training's to groups but it is $1,400 a day for an instructor (plus travel expenses). If we taught it ourselves it would be about $335 a day and we would get powerpoint materials plus a learner book.

Does anyone else have any ideas of a cost effective way that we can put on simple classes to our accounting staff? Once again it should be 101 level and would be beneficial to our group.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello - I have found that when the materials are 101 level it is often most cost efficient to develop and deliver the training internally. I would lean on other internal accountants and finance team members when the topics were outside of my expertise. Many of these team members were happy to participate in the delivery of the training and viewed it as professional development.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thinking about it more, I wish there was a platform that I can purchase Webcasts/Webinars by professionals to show to some of my staff. All the platforms I look at require me to purchase a pass per person. So if it’s me and 4 staff accountants, it requires me to purchase 5 sessions. This can be quite costly and given the knowledge base of the staff accountants I don't think it’s worth it. Does anyone know if there is a platform where I can (a) buy a Webinar pass, (b) get credit for the Webinars via CPE and then (c) if I want to have others look on with me just so they grow their knowledge base?

Steve-LevelUp

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I really like hearing things such as this. I am actually looking to develop a program exactly like this. Teaching basic accounting principles and real practices that can help those working in a corporate setting. Sadly, I'm still in the early development phase, but it is good to know that there is some interest out there.

Reaction score
Country
United States
There definitely is. All of the avenues that I have looked through charge by "watcher." So if you envision going to a room, you hook up a USB chord....if there are 5 watchers you should pay for 5 people. I'm looking for something where it charges based on the distribution of the CPE (or something equivalent) so I don't have to pay an arm and a leg just to give employees a little bit more knowledge.

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not sure how basic you want it to be, but you could purchase some textbooks and use those along with a very simple 'assignment + classroom' model. It wouldn't be a one shot thing though and would require the time investment to be spread out. But the plus is that this should be even less invasive and would allow more one-on-one coaching.