USA Trust Minor Beneficiaries and Non-compliance

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am Trustee for my mother’s Revocable Trust and am distributing the Trust assets. There is no probate involved.

My niece has not provided social security numbers for her minor children who are receiving a sizeable sum for college. I cannot set up the accounts without those SSNs. Do I send a W-9 and pray she returns those even though she won’t return my phone calls?

What if she doesn’t? What do I do with the funds since I cannot set up the accounts? I can’t keep them in the present trust account as that must be closed upon disbursement.

Thank you for helping!

Drmdcpa

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Send W-9s. If she does not provide proper identification information, you cannot distribute and cannot close the trust.

If the money is going to minors, there should be a trustee designated to recieve those assets. But you still need to identify the recipient on the tax return.

They could set up trust accounts for minors to recieve the assets. In such cases they will provide you with the account's EIN.

In any case, you need a Federal ID number before you distribute the assets. You will have a very difficult time getting it afterwards.

Ask a Question