TT Deluxe or TT Premier

Reaction score
TT Deluxe or TT Premier. In 2012, I SOLD shares of my former employers stock, held long term. Originally, those shares were employee stock options... different lots, different option prices, vested over many years, and purchased at different times. I SOLD the last of them in 2012, in one lump sale.

For last year's return, I used TT Deluxe Online. I would like to stay with TT Deluxe Online, if possible. However, not sure it contains forms for cost-basis reporting. I'm told that if you switch up to TT Premier, you must stay with TT Premier in the future, and I want to avoid having to do that. Also, Premier is more costly.

Can I 'get by' with TT Deluxe Online?

Last edited:
Reaction score
yes TT Deluxe will handle cost basis reporting as long as you can provide the sales price and cost basis of any shares sold ; with mutual fund sales you get a 1099-R with that information and I would assume that would also be true in your case.

the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 included reporting changes for various investment types, i.e. equities, mutual funds, options, etc. that you should be aware of if you didn't get a 1099-R from your brokerage ; for mutual funds only post 1/1/2012 buy/sell activity is reported to IRS ; equities were effective in 2011 and options in 2013.

I think TT will suggest Premier because it's an opportunity for them to make more money - in my case Deluxe is free through my mutual fund company and it does the job.

Last edited:

Ask a Question