Unable to Open Data file in Quicken 99

Discussion in 'Quicken' started by chuck.balogh@triskinc.com, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Guest

I had to retrieve some data from Quicken99. I reinstalled Quicken99 and restoed (successfully) the data file. However, when I go to open it, I get an error: "unable to open file".

I moved to Quicken 2013 last year but kept a copy of the Quicken 99 data file so this should work. When I moved to 2013, I started a new data file and did not convert the old file.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

, Oct 15, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Scott J Guest

I had to retrieve some data from Quicken99. I reinstalled Quicken99 and
    restoed (successfully) the data file. However, when I go to open it, I get
    an error: "unable to open file".

I moved to Quicken 2013 last year but kept a copy of the Quicken 99 data
    file so this should work. When I moved to 2013, I started a new data file
    and did not convert the old file.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

It sounds like Q99 is attempting to open the Q13 data file. Can you open
    Q99, select File, and point to the Q99 data file location?

Scott J, Oct 15, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Bartt Guest

Unless there is something specific about the Q99 functionality that you need, Scott W's idea of updating a Q99 file to current format would probably be far more practical than re-installing Q99. If all you need is the data and you don't really care about the Q99 program, you'd just end up with a copy of the data in a Q2013 format. That way, you could open it any time youwant. Just be sure it has a different filename than your new file, which you can do thru Windows Explorer.

If you go that route, I believe you'll have to convert to Q2004 first. Here's a link that I copied from a John Pollard post in another thread:
    http://quicken.intuit.com/support/h...nvert-older-versions-of-quicken/GEN82211.html

As long as the old file & your new one have different names, you can even store them in the same folder. Once you've opened the old file, it should be retained in your recent file list. If you'll click on File, then look toward the bottom of that pop-down menu, you should see both files. You can select whichever one you want & it's name will be displayed at the top of the Q window in the banner. The banner will declare which version of Quicken you're running, followed by the filename. That way, you'll always know which file you have open.

When you open Quicken, it will try to open whichever file was open when youlast closed the application.

Bartt, Oct 15, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question