Uncertainty In My Position

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm 23 years old and had started my career in finance when I was 21. I worked in a relatively large company to start with, staring off as a Cash Allocator, then moving to Purchase Ledger Clerk, then to Purchase Ledger Supervisor and finally an Accounts Assistant/Cashier, where I'd be looking after 2 Purchase Ledger Clerks whilst handling many other responsibilities.. it was an extremely hectic position and work was never finished. The system we used was SAP.

Eventually I decided to move on as I felt my progression in the company had reached its point, as well as the work becoming too stressful. I moved to a smaller company, which pays generously, and have been there for about 3 and a half months. Unfortunately, it's incredibly boring.. the role consists of mainly putting on a few purchase invoices and sending out a few sales invoices.. literally that's it. Also the system we use is QuickBooks, which I find is absolutely terrible after using SAP.

Now I'm searching for a new role again, partly because of travel and the system used, but mainly because it's so boring.

Has anyone ever been in this position of complete boredom? Did it have an adverse effect on how you felt about your career? I don't know whether it's just after being in such a boring position, but it seems to have killed working in Accountancy for me! Can this change?

Also other jobs say they use QuickBooks/Sage, etc. and I for some reason feel that I want to get into a position which uses the same or equally advanced program like SAP.. or I feel there won't be as good progression..? Does this make sense to anyone? I know it likely isn't the case, but some reassurance on the subject would be appreciated!

Many thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Recap of what you wrote above:
SAP = becomes too stressful
QuickBooks = becomes too boring

You'll always have problems with anything, anywhere.

You might want to take some personality-career test to find out what you really want from your career. And life. Good luck.

Reaction score
Hi

You mention in your message what you don't like about your job.

When I am looking for a new position or career progression i usually try to look at the parts of my job that made me feel good and that i succeeded in. Then I try to put these into a particular skill set when looking for a next job.

For example, you might like the feeling when managing staff, on a resume and a new job this would interpret into HR skills, training or mentoring. If you liked investigating things to find better ways to do them, this would translate on a resume or job as continuous improvement skills or analyst skills etc....

Hope this has helped.

Ask a Question