Uncollectable Payroll Advance

Reaction score
When an employee is terminated, how is the unpaid portion of a payroll advance handled? There is no note, no interest charged. There is zero chance that the employee will pay the balance ($1200). Can I write it off like a bad debt? Do I report it on a 1099, or a W-2? Reporting it on the W-2 seems like the worst option. How would I deal with employee and employer FICA? I thought of grossing up the $1280 to include EE FICA. Then I would need to pay both EE & ER FICA. Not a great option, as I am already out the $1280 balance.

kp1

Reaction score
Country
United States
Give him a 1099C. It will be taxable to him and deduction for you.

Form
1099-C. According to the IRS, nearly any debt you owe that is canceled, forgiven or discharged becomes taxable income to you. You'll receive a Form 1099-C, "Cancellationof Debt," from the lender that forgave the debt.

Reaction score
Someone told me that because there is no note and no interest charge, and the debtor is an employee, the debt must be grossed up for FICA and reported on the W-2, and that the employer must pay in the FICA. That seems ridiculous to me, but I want to make sure I get this right.

kp1

Reaction score
Country
United States
Two things are going for you:

1. You can probably claim that amount is not material. So it is a loan and not a couched compensation.
2. Timing
In contrast, income from the discharge of indebtedness is taxed at the time “it becomes clear that a debt will never have to be paid”. the case of Starke v. Commissioner, TC Summary Opinion 2015‑40.

I do agree that the conservative route would be W-2.

Ask a Question