USA Unique Job Offer Help

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all -

Looking for some opinions on a unique job offer.

My background: Currently a senior at a Big 4 accounting firm in a smaller city (i.e not NYC or Houston or another major hub). I also am an adjunct accounting professor at a major university. I have a good quality of life here - busy season we leave by 9 every night. Busy season lasts just during January and February. I like everyone I work with. My complaints about the job: I'm so bored and I feel like a fake accountant sometimes - there are so many things I don't know (i.e tax). I hate controls (i know everyone does) but the thought of spending my life reviewing controls and pretending to care about this stuff makes me want to scream.

My opportunity: There is a one man shop in the same city I live in looking to expand. He is an ex controller of a public company (an audit client actually). He is very sharp. He does tax, contract CFO work, and some general book keeping. He is at the point where he has to hire someone to grow anymore. He wants to expand into small business audits. The city is a growing city with lots of emerging small businesses that are priced out of big 4 audits, and even smaller "big six" type audits. He wants to hire me to expand the audit practice, and teach me tax work and the other areas of his business. Assuming things go well, I'd be an equal owner with him some day.

Thoughts??

Becky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

It certainly sounds like a very interesting opportunity, especially if there is scope to become a partner in the business one day. Working with small businesses can be very rewarding - over time you really get to know them and their business, and it can feel like the work you are doing has more meaning than being a small cog in a big machine (like at the Big 4). That being said, the opportunities for growth and development may be more restricted, and potentially the scope for promotions and pay rises may also not be as good as what you would get at the Big 4. However, it ultimately comes down to personal preference - I would base your decision on what type of work you would prefer to do day to day, as if you enjoy your job then life is just so much better :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Run, not only from that opportunity, but also from public accounting....i worked in public accounting for about 5 years before being recruited into private industry...your experience can land you a sr. corporate position where you will likely make far more and work far less (i leave at 6 if im very busy compared to public when during tax season it would be closer to 11)....most small businesses are very tight on cash and liquidating partnership interest can be impossible at times...if you get in with the right company, your duties will be vast and your knowledge greatly valued/awarded....best of luck

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would recommend you contact a respected recruiting agency, such as robert half, to see what opportunities are available to you....fyi when i was working public accounting i always thought i couldnt imagine myself doing anything else, but when i moved into corporate my quality of life became exponentially better

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
about your " I'm so bored" comment -

"Life is daring adventure or nothing." --Helen Keller

Ask a Question