UK Unused Annual Pension Allowance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can someone clarify how to leverage your unused annual pension allowance from previous years. The following article states "You can carry forward unused annual allowances from the 3 previous tax years. You do not need to report this to HMRC." https://www.gov.uk/guidance/check-if-you-have-unused-annual-allowances-on-your-pension-savings.

I have contacted an accountancy firm who have quoted for submitting my 19/20 self-assessment as well as amending previous returns going back to 16/17 in order for me to use the previous 3 years allowance and stay within the threshold.

Can someone confirm whether this is correct or if it is possible to just submit this years' return?

Werner Reisacher

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
You are well-advised to get a second opinion from a local CPA or contact the customer service department of the pension fund management. I would also ask the accountancy firm that gave you the quote on what basis they came to their conclusion that tax files need to be adjusted retroactively.

Ask a Question