USA US bank accounts - non resident alien

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I used to live, work and pay taxes in the United States as a valid Visa worker (I am not a US citizen or Green card holder) and still have multiple checking and stock trading accounts (no actual trading - just idle money) with various US banks etc. I have not visited the United States since 2012 in any capacity and 2012 was the last year I had to pay US taxes for. The interest in my account doesn't accrue to beyond $25 and since I haven't filed W-8BEN, tax is deducted. The accounts have my relative's address on them.

The question I have though, is that for these mostly inactive accounts, is there anything I need to do in order to meet any US compliance or disclosure laws. For the most part, I just up and left the US and haven't done anything other than provide a US address for bank statements etc.

Also, if I need to withdraw money from these accounts at some time in the future, what is the best option to do so? I still have check leaves etc.

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I assume you had a US Social Security Number (SSN). As long as you have that, you're all set. You should file the W8-BEN each year if you live in a country that has a tax treaty with the US as that way the tax withheld is reduced to zero on interest and capital gains or 15% on dividends.

Reaction score
In Australia... Yes, most non-residents are able to open a bank account with the Commonwealth Bank

Ask a Question