UK Use invoice lines for tracking payment settlements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to solve the problem for purchase-and-sell online business. This business writes out invoices for customers and business managers want to do all the tracking and analysis around invoice lines:
1) they want to receive vendor prepayments and distribute those prepayments across invoice lines. I.e. managers want to assign the prepayment amount to each invoice line.
2) they want to receive venor invoices and distribute those vendor invoices across customers' invoice lines. I.e. managers want to see how much prepayment has been paid to vendor for each customer invoice line and hence determine the amount due for each customer invoice line.
I.e. managers want to open list of customer invoices and customer invoice lines and see all the information revolving around customer invoice lines - how much goods were bought, how much vendor prepayment has been paid for each customer invoice line and whether the payments with the vendor for certain customer invoice lines are settled.

But there is big problem. Each vendor (b2b) invoice contains the following information only:
1) vendor invoice line has amount of goods;
2) vendor invoice line has price per unit without VAT;
3) vendor invoice (totally) has VAT rate;
4) vendor invoice has total sum wihout VAT
5) vendor invoice has VAT sum and hence the total sum for payment
But vendor invoice has no sum with VAT (i.e. payment sum) for each vendor invoice line. Of course, we can artificially distribute the total sum with VAT (total payment sum) across vendo invoice lines, but there will be lines for which the sum with VAT/payment sum (for these lines) will be non-rounded, with partial cents.

So - if vendor invoice lines have no sum with VAT/payment sum, then how it is possible to track vendor payment settlements using customer invoice lines.

My experience is this: there is strong separation between the warehouse accounting and settlement accounting. Goods are received and tracked in warehouse IT system, but invoices are received and paid in separate system. We can track the settlements with the vendor using the total vendor invoices but it is not possible to track the vendor settlements at the level of individual goods (whether one specific good is paid, partially paid and not paid at all).

But managers still want to do all the tracking and settlement using customer invoices lines (tracke whether each individual goods is received form vendor, whether the company has paid prepayment to vendor for each sold individual good, whteher the company has finally made settlements with vendor for each sold individual goods and so on. Managers have no intereset in settling accounts with the vendor totally, they just want to see whether the company has made payment for each sold good.

So - is such tracking the crazy idea and are there practice/guidelines how to implement it and are there IT systems that support such scenario (e.g. maybe Salesforce?). Such process is very prone to rounding errors and the final settlements are almost impossible.

Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
it's not Possible to do by this way , simply if you are using ERP system , IT Team should align with ERP Team to check the availability for preparing one report between PO-Receiving in the WH and linked the receiving with invoice in A/R Dept , by this way you can do it simple and with a report otherwise you will wast time and come with wrong figures escpecially that you need to consider the lines which prepaid to vendor

i hope that you understand

Ask a Question