VA Changing Domicile


Charles Goodman

I'm looking for some advice on how to change my domicile
from VA before taking an overseas job. I want to avoid
paying VA state taxes while we are living abroad. Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

My family and I moved to Virginia from Florida in 2002 as a
result of my job being relocated. We had lived in Florida
for over 10 years and my wife still has a lot of family in
Florida. I have applied for a job with the US State
Department and I feel there is a reasonably good chance I
will get an offer sometime in the early part of 2006. I
will spend probably 2-6 months in training in Northern VA
and would then head for an overseas assignment. It is
possible that I would come back and work in Washington, DC,
in the future and may need to live in Northern VA for a few
years before heading back overseas or retirement (presumably

It is my understanding that when someone takes a job with
the State Department, they declare a state of domicile to
determine if state income taxes should be withheld. If
possible, I would like to change my state of domicile back
to Florida before heading overseas. Because of the training
in Northern VA, it is unlikely that I would be able to leave
VA for any extended period before heading overseas. Once I
get the State Department job, my plan is to sell our house
and buy one in FL. My wife and son would move back to FL
while I am in training. I would change our permanent
address to FL and change things such as vehicle
registrations, driver licenses, etc.

Is this sufficient? What else should I do to ensure that VA
considers my state of domicile to be FL? I am hoping that
our prior long-term residency in Florida and the fact that
we still have family ties there (and none in VA) will help
support the change.

Again, any information would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by a moderator:


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Similar Threads