UK VAT for items purchased via Voucher Scheme

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I run my own little business writing software services, and manage my own accounts. I recently bought a new piece of equipment, but I actually bought discounted shop vouchers and then used the vouchers to purchase the item. It saved me about 6% on the item cost.
However, I now don't understand how to properly declare the VAT. The vouchers sold to me don't appear to have a VAT component (I'm asking the vendor to clarify), and I have a shop receipt for the item for the full amount, including a VAT number. Let me explain with the numbers:
I paid £1880 for £2000 worth of vouchers.
I bought a £2000 item from the shop with the vouchers.
The shop receipt states I paid £2000 (therefore £333.33 VAT)
As I only paid £1880 for the vouchers I assume I can only declare £313.33 of VAT.
I don't have a VAT receipt for the vouchers so have no proof I paid £313.33 in VAT.
I do have a VAT shop receipt so I can determine the £333.33 VAT component from them.

Can somebody please clarify what I'm supposed to declare here?

Related: On my asset register, I assume I can put the item down as worth £2000, despite having paid less for it?

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can't help with the VAT query, but assets should be registered at the cost to you ie net of any discounts.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you fidget for your reply. If assets are registered at the cost to the business, how does one register inherited assets? For example, if I happen to receive at £4k piece of equipment for free, can I not register it as worth £4k to the business?

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, you can. It would be registered at its value at the point of it being donated, but it isn't the same thing as purchasing an asset.

Ask a Question